Our vision for the Butterfly House and Bug Zoo started in 2012. After careful consideration, a site was chosen for the zoo in the Spring of 2014. Construction of the Butterfly House and the zoo exhibits were completed and ready for visitors in October 2014.
The purpose of the GT Butterfly House & Bug Zoo is to create an attraction that would provide the community education and a fun place to take kids to learn about the wonders of butterflies and their bug relatives. As the Zoo grows in it’s mission, there are many plans ahead!
- Free educational presentations about some of the zoo’s most popular animals.
- Junior Zoo Keeper Classes- Allowing kids to come and spend a few hours with the zookeepers and help feed the butterflies and bugs, along with making a fun craft!
- Outside Nature Walk-With help from Dr. Duke Elsner, our zoo will create a nature walk around the zoo’s property to teach about native plants and the animals that live nearby.
- Classroom presentations-Assisting teachers in science and biology, with a strong message of conservation and stewardship of the planet.
- Parties/Weddings-Let us work with you to make a memory in our Butterfly Garden. We’ll offer wedding and party packages soon. Email your inquiry!
- Engaging classes offered through Grand Traverse Conservation District-Let us help you find your child’s next outdoor adventure!